Google Pixel smartphones came with a lot of special software which every Android users drool over. Google Assistant is the Google’s answer to Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa and Microsoft’s Cortana. It came as a core service in Google Pixel smartphones but soon other devices got its taste through unofficial ports. However, it never worked out perfectly and also it involved a lot of tricks like editing build.prop and flashing multiple mods.
Well, good news for folks running Android Nougat on their smartphones – fully functional Google Assistant can now be installed on Nougat devices with a minimal effort. The “OK Google” hot word which wasn’t working earlier is working great now. As many Android users are running Lineage OS on their devices, we thought of writing a guide on how to get Google Assistant on Lineage OS.
All credits to this mod go to Fknt00 from XDA and all you need to do is to flash a ZIP file from recovery. So, make sure you have a working recovery like TWRP or CWM. This mod only works for Lineage OS 14 or above and doesn’t support Marshmallow devices. If you’re ready, let’s install Google Assistant on Lineage OS.
Note: As this Mod modifies system files to enable Google Assistant, you need to install it every time you flash a nightly or new build. This is because installing a new build will overwrite the entire /system removing any modifications you made.
- As you’re checking this page, we hope you’ve already installed a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM. If not, install it first.
- Make a backup of all the necessary files on your device.
- Make sure you’ve at least 60% battery on your device.
CHECK CPU ARCHITECTURE
First, you need to check the device architecture to choose the compatible Gapps package. So, download the CPUZ app from below link and check your CPU architecture.
Once you install the CPUZ app, open it and click on CPU icon. You’ll find the CPU architecture information here. It should show something like Arm, Arm64, x86, x86-64.
Download Google Assistant Enabler
Download the Google Assistant mod based on your device’s architecture.
How to Install Google Assistant Enabler
- Boot your device into TWRP Recovery using any 3rd party app or the hardware key combinations meant for your device.
- In TWRP menu, select Install.
- Navigate to the location where you’ve placed the Google Assistant enabled Zip file and select it.
- Now, simply Swipe to confirm the flash. (If you’re new to custom recoveries, check this in-depth tutorial)
- Reboot the device once the Zip is flashed.
Upon reboot, long press to activate Google Assistant on your device. You can then setup Google Assistant with your voice for “OK Google” detection.
Note: If Google Assitant is not working, try to clear cache in Google app.
That’s it. You have successfully installed Google Assistant on Lineage OS 14.1 devices.